Pages

Sunday 14 August 2011

How to watch DSTV on the Nokia N8


On this fateful day, I was tired and bored in the office after several meetings with my clients.
I picked up my Nokia N8 with the intention of finding a game to play but found that I was not in the mood for games. Next, I drifted online to look for any exciting app to install on my N8. It was at this point that I ran into this incredible app DsTV Mobile. It is a widget developed by DsTV for the Nokia N8. With this app, you can watch Euronews, Supersport Blitz and SawSee for free.
You can download DsTV for Nokia N8 here.
The app works by streaming content over your mobile internet connection. As such, the drawback of this app is that it requires a lot of data to stream. I had to find a way to use this app without exhausting my 15mb from Etisalat that I use for email, since I do not pay for data plan (this is gist for another day).

I went hunting online again for an application to help me turn my laptop into a wifi hotspot (I was fed up with setting up peer to peer network every morning to use with my mobile device).
Here I encountered yet another challenge – most of the apps available support only Windows 7. My Acer Aspire AS3810T runs on Vista. With some peristence, after about an hour of search, I found what I was looking for in Bzeek.
Bzeek turns your laptop into a software access point for free and with ease.
Bzeek supports Windows 7, Vista and XP.
A few highlights from the Bzeek website:
  • Bzeek has a built-in Firewall that protects your computer and network.
  • Bzeek creates a totally separate network for other visitors, which works next to your existing network.
  • Bzeek’s security features ensure people connecting to Bzeek cannot access or even see your computer.
  • This means they cannot see your files, to know who you are, or to have any kind of access to your computer.
With Bzeek I was able to share the internet access from my Starcomms modem with my Nokia N8. This helped me to save money on data and I could also take my moblie office anywhere and share my internet access with any device. Of course, this worked just fine for watching sports and news via Dstv mobile on my N8.
To get more information on how to install and use dstv mobile,click here.
Please Note:
You may have to turn off your firewall to use Bzeek (since it comes with it own firewall). I had connectivity problems after I installed it until I figured this out.

No comments:

Post a Comment